This page highlights some of the media’s recent tributes to the environment and to the Green Patriot™ cause:
Editor's Pick: Do One Green Thing
Looking for helpful, practical answers to your green questions? You can find them in Do One Green Thing: Saving the Earth through Simple, Everyday Choices (St. Martin’s, 2010) by Mindy Pennybacker, with a forward by Meryl Streep. Mindy is a terrific writer who comes to us from the legendary Green Guide. She knows how to get you all the goods when it comes to inspiring things we can all do daily in our lives—get this book and get inspired!
Here’s just one easy but effective everyday choice that will turn a basic area of your life greener.
Q. What saves more energy and water, machine- or hand-washing dishes?
A. Using the dishwasher. On average, a modern machine uses only half the electricity and a mere one-sixth of the water that hand-washing does. But if you don’t have a dishwasher, you can still save energy and water, for example, buying a low-flow faucet aerator for your sink. Standard faucets release 2.2 gallons per minute (gpm). An aerator can go as low as 0.5 gpm.
For more information, and to order, visit www.StMartins.com/DoOneGreenThing.
The Cove (2009) - Filmed secretly using underwater microphones and cameras disguised as rocks, Director, Louie Psihoyos shines the spotlight on a dark reality where fishermen of Taiji kill thousands of dolphins annually.
Flow (2008) - This film will change the way you think about water, and perhaps stop you from ever buying a bottle of water again. This award-winning film documents the world water crisis, what experts say is "the most important political and environmental issue of the 21st Century."
Food, Inc. (2008) - Award-winning filmmaker Robert Kenner unveils the suprising truths about what we eat, how its produced, who we have become as a nation and where we are going from here.
Fuel (2008) - Portrays America's unhealthy addiction to oil and offers an uplifting testament to the immediacy of new energy solutions.
The 11th Hour (2007) - Narrated by Leonardo DiCaprio, this film describes the earth at its last moment when change is possible and explores how humanity has arrived at this moment, how we impact the earths ecosystems and what we can do to change our course. Feautures dialogues with leading scientists and experts from all over the world.
The Future of Food (2006) - This documentary sheds light on the shadowy relationship between agriculture, big business and government. Examining the effects of biotechnology on the nation's smallest farmers, it reveals the unappetizing truth about genetically modified foods that we unknowingly eat on a regular basis.
An Inconvenient Truth (2006) - This documentary captures former Vice President Al Gore in the midst of waging a passionate campaign for the environment. Laying out the scientific evidence of global warming, Gore urging his audiences to act before it's too late.
The Story of Stuff with Annie Leonard (2007) - This 20-minute, fast-paced, fact-filled film looks at the connection between America's production and consumption patterns and a huge number of global environmental and social problems, and calls us together to create a more sustainable and just world. View the film here.
Who Killed the Electric Car? (2006) - This documentary explores the birth, limited commercializa-tion and death of battery electric vehicles (in particular the General Motors EV1) despite their very loyal and enthusiastic customer base in the United States in the 1990's.
Books - Living Green
- Audubon - Offers views on environmental problems and proposes solutions regarding ecology, conservation, wildlife, and more.
- Awareness Magazine - Bi-monthly publication that reaches individuals concerned with many issues that involve the environment, holistic health, and natural health.
- California Wild - Covers the Golden State's extraordinary biological and geographical diversity, while serving as a naturalist's guide to the state.
- Canadian Geographic - Magazine featuring travel, cartography, photography, geography contests, and educational tools.
- Cascadia Times - Publication based in the Pacific Northwest serving that region with in-depth coverage of environmental and natural resource issues.
- Conscious Choice - Monthly magazine of the American Midwest that reports on environmental issues and natural alternatives in health care, food, and nutrition.
- Dedijer Media - Explore the relationship between man and nature together with reporter, photojournalist and filmmaker Miki Dedijer.
- Do or Die - Voices from the Ecological Resistance - Annual magazine highlighting the Earth First! movement and Direct Action in the UK and abroad.
- Down To Earth - A lot of articles on science and the environment. Especially highlights problems in developing nations.
- E/The Environmental Magazine - Popular magazine includes news and features on a wide range of environmental topics.
- Earth Light - Magazine that seeks "to empower individuals and communities to live and work in touch with Earth and Spirit."
- Earth Times - Coverage of the global war against terrorism, poverty, discrimination and pollution.
- Ecologist -Covers a range of topical and general subjects from science and technology to the impacts of globalization on jobs, health and the environment.
- Environmental Protection -Trade publication with focused articles on EPA compliance of air pollution control, water protection, waste treatment, wastewater disinfection and industrial hygiene.
- Geotimes - News magazine of the earth sciences.
- Green Car Journal - Information on the newest alternative vehicles and fuels.
- The Green Guide – Newsletter-style magazine from National Geographic.
- Green Futures - UK's leading magazine on environmental solutions and sustainable futures.
- Green@Work - Dedicated to telling the stories of ecological pioneers, products and systems that are driving an important change in corporate and bureaucratic America.
- Grist Magazine - Witty environmental news magazine.
- Land and Water - For all those individuals involved in natural resource management and restoration, from idea stage through project completion and maintenance.
- Mother Earth News - Original country living magazine.
- National Geographic - Flagship magazine of the National Geographic Society, chronicles exploration and adventure, as well as changes that impact life on Earth. Editorial coverage includes people and places of the world, with an emphasis on human involvement in a changing universe.
- Natural Life - News about the environment, sustainable living, healthy eating, wellness, organic gardening, and more.
- Orion - Promotes place-based thinking and sustainable living.
- Pollution Engineering - Coverage of technical news and features to meet the information needs of environmental professionals with multiple pollution control responsibilities.
- Resurgence Magazine - International forum of radical thought on environmental and social issues.
- World Watch - Focuses on consumerism and preserving cultural and biological diversity.
- 50 Simple Steps to Save the Earth from Global Warming (2008) by the Green Patriot Working Group
500 Places to See Before They Disappear enables passionate travelers and the eco-conscious to learn about and plan a visit to see rare cultural, historic, and natural places before they are irrevocably altered or even gone forever.
Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living by Annie Berthold-Bond (1999)
The Better World Handbook: From Good Intentions to Everyday Actions by Ellis Jones, Ross Haenfler, Brett Johnson, and Brian Klocke (2001)
- Building with Awareness: The Construction of a Hybrid Home by Ted Owens (2006)
- The Consumer's Guide to Effective Environmental Choices: Practical Advice from the Union of Concerned Scientists by Michael Brower and Warren Leon (1999)
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things by William McDonough and Michael Braungart (2002)
Diet for a Poisoned Planet: How to Choose Safe Foods for You and Your Family - the 21st Century Edition by David Steinman (2007)
The Gorgeously Green Diet: How to Live Lean and Green by Sophie Uliano (2009)
The Green Book: The Everyday Guide to Saving the Planet One Simple Step at a Time by Elizabeth Rogers (2007)
- Green, Greener, Greenest: A Practical Guide to Making Eco-Smart Choices a Part of your Life by Lori Bongiorno (2008)
Green Living: A Practical Guide to Eating, Gardening, Energy Saving and Housekeeping for a Healthy Planet by Carlton Books (2002)
Green Living: The E Magazine Handbook for Living Lightly on the Earth by E Magazine (2005)
Green Remodeling: Changing the World One Room at a Time by David Johnston and Kim Master (2004)
Healthy Child, Healthy World: Creating a Cleaner, Greener, Safer Home by Christopher Gavigan (2008)
- How to Live Green, Cheap, and Happy: Save Money! Save the Planet! by Randi Hacker (1994)
It's Easy Being Green: A Handbook for Earth-Friendly Living by Crissy Trask (2006)
- Living Green: A Guide to Simple Sustainability (2006) by Greg Horn
- The Lazy Environmentalist: Your Guide to Easy, Stylish Green Living (2007) by Josh Dorfman
- The Live Earth Global Warming Survival Handbook: 77 Essential Skills to Stop Climate Change by David de Rothschild (2007)
- Natural Remodeling for the Not-So-Green House: Bringing Your Home into Harmony with Nature (Natural Home & Garden) by Carol Venolia and Kelly Lerner (2006)
The Newman's Own Organics Guide to a Good Life: Simple Measures That Benefit You and the Place You Live by Nell Newman and Joseph D'Agnese (2003)
Not Just a Pretty Face: The Ugly Side of the Beauty Industry (2007) by Stacy Malkan
Safe Trip to Eden: Ten Steps to Save Planet Earth from the Global Warming Meltdown by David Steinman (2007)
Wake Up and Smell the Planet: The Non-pompous, Non-preachy Grist Guide to Greening Your Day by Grist Magazine (2007)
|Books - Climate Crisis
- America and the Crisis of the Global Environment by James Gustave Speth
- An Inconvenient Truth: The Planetary Emergency of Global Warming and What We Can Do About It by Al Gore
- Boiling Point: How Politicians, Big Oil and Coal, Journalists and Activists are Fueling the Climate Crisis and What We Can Do to Avert Disaster by Ross Gelbspan
- The Carbon War: Global Warming and the End of the Oil Era by Jerremy K. LeggettClimate Change: Debating America’s Policy Options by David G. Victor
- A Contract with the Earth (2007) by Newt Gingrich and Terry L. Maple
- Crimes Against Nature by Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.
- The Discovery of Global Warming: New Histories of Science, Technology and Medicine by Spencer R. Weart
- Earth: The Sequel - The Race to Reinvent Energy and Stop Global Warming (2008) by Fred Krupp and Miriam Horn
- Field Notes from a Catastrophe: Man, Nature and Climate Change by Elizabeth Kolbert
- Global Warming: The Complete Briefing by John T. Houghton
- Is the Temperature Rising? The Uncertain Science of Global Warming by S. George Philander
- Meltdown: the Predictable Distortion of Global Warming by Scientists, Politicians and the Media by Patrick J Michaels
- Red Sky at Morning: America and the Crisis of the Global Environment by James Gustave Speth
- Silent Spring by Rachel Carson (1962)
- The Weather Makers; How Man Is Changing the Climate and What It Means for Life on Earth by Tim Flannery
Books - Environmental Health
- Diet for a Poisoned Planet: How to Choose Safe Foods for You and Your Family - the 21st Century Edition by David Steinman (2007)
- Not Just a Pretty Face: The Ugly Side of the Beauty Industry (2007) by Stacy Malkan
- The Secret History of the War on Cancer by Devra Davis (2008)